Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Playing catch up

Halloween costumes!
First off I just want to apologize for my lack of posting. Or maybe I should say you're welcome for not taking up space on your newsfeed? Either way, I haven't had very much time to post about my student teaching experience--who knew I would be so busy? Everyone told me I would be busy, but I figured it wouldn't be too terribly overwhelming after being an RA for two years... but they were right. I'm busy! This is kind of a lengthy post, so I apologize in advance! Enjoy the pictures!


LaCrosse Trip
So here's a little update on my past eight weeks of my life. I spent eight weeks at Peet Junior High and now I'm settling into my second placement at Cedar Falls High School. Between the beginning of the semester and right now I got a part-time job working for the UNI Foundation calling out to alumni for a little extra dinero, so I spend about ten hours of my week doing that. I took a trip to LaCrosse, Wisconsin to visit some very good friends of mine that I worked with at UNI as an RA. It was a lovely little visit. I got the chance to celebrate UNI's Homecoming as a normal student instead of an RA which was a pretty fantastic time. As it turns out, tailgating is pretty fun! Who knew? I celebrated my 23rd birthday which was both delightful and depressing, I feel like I'm getting pretty old. I got a haircut and brought my bangs back, so that was pretty exciting. I also started dating a guy named Andrew a couple of months ago and that's going pretty well. Needless to say there's been some big changes in my life in these past few months and I'm just trying my best to keep up with everything!

UNI Homecoming
In my last post I wrote that I started taking over my five sections of Spanish I at Peet Junior High; I continued teaching for well over my two-week requirement and built a great rapport with my students. They thought I was the bees knees! I learned quite a lot about what it means to be a teacher and what kinds of responsibilities teachers have beyond writing lesson plans and teaching from 8am-3pm every day. I wont' bore you with all of the teachery stuff I learned, just take my word for it. I believe that I have grown tremendously as a teacher so far this semester; I have gained so much confidence in my teaching skills and my abilities to be in front of a classroom. I'm pretty confident this is what I really want to do.

In October I transitioned from Peet Junior High into my second placement at CFHS, and I am already in my fourth week in the high school... crazy! It was really hard to leave Peet because it was such a dream experience with a great teacher and awesome students. It's been a stressful semester trying to juggle everything, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

2nd hour Spanish Class

No comments:

Post a Comment