Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A new semester, a new Educational Technology course...

Photo retrieved from UNI DOR Facebook
I've been on a bit of a blogging hiatus for a little over a month because I'm one of those lucky college students that still gets a fairly long Winter Break! I'm glad to be back in classes though, for my very last semester at UNI! It's pretty crazy how the time flies. Everyone is asking what my plans are after graduation, and I've finally established some! After graduation I'm staying on campus for the summer to work for the Department of Residence and in the fall I'll be student teaching somewhere in the Cedar Falls area (PS, that's me on the right in the photo for the UNI Department of Residence!). It's very relieving to have some of my post-graduation life planned!

This semester I'm enrolled in a few Educational Technology courses to fulfill my minor: Creating Technology-Enhanced Learning Environments (say that five times fast!), Technology & Human Communications, and Multi-Media Planning & Production. I'll be blogging about most of these courses throughout the semester, so if you've got any interest in what I'm learning, make sure to subscribe to my blog!

I'm excited to be surrounded with technology this semester! It's going to be wonderful. I'm most excited about our Problem-Based Learning unit in my Creating Technology-Enhanced Learning Environments course (CTELE) because I think our education system is trying to make the shift from factual-based learning to problem-based learning. Our students need to learn how to critically think and evaluate--they don't need to be wasting time with recall questions and memorizing information you can look up on Google in three seconds. Problem-Based Learning is self-directed, collaborative, and very active learning. It's the future of education! Our PBL unit takes a up a huge chunk of our semester in CTELE, so I'm very excited to get started on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment